Saturday, February 20, 2016

Video of Elephant Picking up Trash

My wife showed me a video from Africa.com showing an elephant picking up two pieces of litter and putting them in a nearby trashcan. We watch amazed and wonder: why would an elephant care about litter?
After a few moments thought we each have an idea. My wife says: I guess elephants have a sense of orderliness. My version of the same is: they follow Truism 4 - "Things remain the same". So both my wife and I conclude that something like this goes through the elephants head: "Hmm that paper was not there yesterday and does not belong there...". Why it knew the trash belonged in the can is another  matter.
It is another example of how the concept of narrative truisms is helpful in analyzing behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment