Friday, December 23, 2022

How do we love those stone blades?

I am struggling to understand my different aesthetic/emotional reactions to the different stone blades and arrowhead(s) I have been finding.

In the last three posts, I showed a badly weathered knife that must have once been an impressive blade:



Another blade made from a pretty, red jasper but water worn and slightly damaged (see here). And a "real" arrowhead: a the little, quartz "Squinocket stemmed point" from Raynham (see here).

I have been thinking about how one values an arrowhead, in terms of its design, execution, material, condition (damage and weathering), and anything peculiar to the arrowhead. Let's see how it applies to these finds. 

First the quartz point is a fine simple, design; well done, made from the noble material: quartz, and in good condition.

Next, the jasper blade is an ok design, the execution is fine, the material is a noble red rhyolite or jasper, the weathering is a bit severe and the chipped tip is a bit of a spoiler.

For the slate blade, the design is very fine - more exiting than either of the other two example. We cannot say much about the execution. The material is an un-inspiring slate and it is undamaged but severely weathered. 

So the aesthetic 'score' of each one varies according to how it ranks in these sorts of category. And it does somewhat match the aesthetics I experience looking at the three examples, sitting on my desk. But something else is going on, having to do with what I am learning finding these points. The title "The beaches begin to give up their secrets" represents the wishful thought that I am finding these beach arrowheads at the mouths of old rivers. and that I have figured something out. Certainly, two blades in two days suggests the theory might work.

But what I am struggling with is my desire to see these pieces in their original beauty and how, since it is not likely to be something other people appreciate: overly weathered items, like damaged ones, just don't quite make it. But you wish they did. My eyes keep tracking back towards the large dark blade. Is it only because of what I imagine its original beauty was? Or is the beauty still there? How important is it to me that I had these thoughts while finding it:

I will go back to that beach near Fay Rd where I believe there may be a few more stone tools in the gravel than other spots.[Then when getting there] Actually, I should go down to the beach with black sands, below the dune-blocked pond just north of Nobska lighthouse. That is where the river mouth was.

No comments:

Post a Comment