Saturday, March 28, 2020

Early Spring Magnolias - sheltering in place in Concord


So I am awed by all the great artists and lately have enjoyed listening to David Hockney videos on YouTube. Like him, I find the perception of space to be inherently beautiful. And I don't have much hope of being as great a colorist as him. I note that Van Gogh is the master colorist but his paintings are often flat. Depth and color are different dimensions of beauty. Parallelism and transformation defining a narrative are also aspects of beauty.
And so I have been doing a lot of drawing and always wondering: what is the point since I am not as good as a "real" painter? Ultimately graphic art needs to be something you enjoy looking at every day. On whose wall would my talents put me? However I find a rendering niche that is within Hockney's approach but that he missed or wasn't interested in: Species specific details and closeups. I can take his wonderful ideal of a "no focal point" Grand Canyon and apply it to a near foreground landscape. So that different parts of the picture are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment