Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Chatelperronian you say? That's a relief

So we saw that bladelet from Nevada compared to the Neanderthal one from La Ferrassie in France:


 
It bothered me that La Ferrassie was called "Mousterian" and that that meant a deep age. I was not too comfortable thinking the place in Nevada had material from 200K years ago. BUT, I went to look more carefully at the website where I found the picture La Ferrassie - Neanderthal rock shelter. The bladelet on the right comes from what they call the Chatelperronian layer - which typically dates to 45K to 40K years ago. That makes much more sense. People travelling up the Colorado River 40K years ago fits well. I suppose those Neanderthals did not survive.
Update: Too bad there are no Neanderthal skeletons in the US. Oh wait....there are. And plenty of their genes too!

No comments:

Post a Comment