Wednesday, March 1, 2023

What were the weirdest things you saw in the desert?

Well, finding a colonial root cellar was pretty strange.  

I did not take a picture but I was noticing a badger hole and then spotted a metal tag, glued to a nearby small rock. It said "1530" on it. I have no idea why someone would go around gluing metal tags to rocks but imagined it was some kind of badger tracking system.

Here is a story: I drove with my friend Dave Larson along a dirt road, under power lines and up to a pass between the hills. I thought it might be a way to spot game trails and somewhere to look for arrowheads. We parked at a turnaround that was covered with shell casings, shotgun shells, broken skeet, and broken glass. About twenty yards out we also saw Coke Cans that were still unbroken and I came across a Corona beer bottle that still had beer in it. I popped it open and enjoyed a wind cooled free beer in the middle of the Nevada desert. You had to wonder why, after missing their shots, they did not go collect the unbroken Coke and Coronas. They could have been distracted or just been too drunk.

[When I told this story to a barmaid at the airport, she started worrying it was going to be a scary story, as soon as I mentioned "middle of nowhere" and "gun". When I got to the end she supplied the phrase - "finding a beer in the middle of the Nevada desert". In fact, I was dehydrated and it was delicious.]

No comments:

Post a Comment