Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Physical Community and Online Community

Woods Hole is a place with a strong sense of community in the winter and it has a pretty strong sense in the summer as well - when the town is packed with people from NY, Texas, Paris, etc.
Recently I was having an online exchange with someone, having trouble discussing "community" because I was talking about physical community and he was talking about online community.

Why can't online community and physical community be the same? It leads to this question: what resources could be put in front of an online community to help people in a physical community? I am doing an aggregated calendar. Other answers range from: help with home maintenance and construction to babysitting, catering, eldercare, shopping, transport, laundry, and maybe anything else that one person regards as a chore and another person is happy to offer.

The idea is taking form slowly and I am wondering about minimum useful capabilities. One idea I like is that accounts are formed around "my project", with possible "ask and bid" supported executing the project AND a passive view mode allowed where the public can watch. A kind of live TV.

In some ways, though, you want to eliminate a direct quid-pro-quo for low budget projects. For example, I would be happy to do some baby sitting, assuming that sooner or later I am going to need some eldercare.

No comments:

Post a Comment