Thursday, September 6, 2018

Handling the 3 line stanzas of the Dies Irae

Measure a Requiem composer's creativity by how they handle the 3 line stanzas of the Dies Irae. Music is in 2s and 4s, so whatayagonnado? You could try to make music using 3s. You could repeat the last line to make 4 lines. You can sing during 3 measures and use only instrumental on the 4th. In the "Requiem for an Impossible Love" I use a stretching of the last line to take up 2 measures of music. Another way you can do it is be repeating the 1st line on the 3rd measure, then singing the last line on the 4th. I just heard Gounod do something I have tried: a delay in the 3rd measure turning it into 4 measures, while 3 lines of verse are being sung.
Let's go see how Verdi did it. I know I'll end up humming his "Inter Oves..."! Ah, I hear Verdi taking an entire movement to do the first stanza of the poem. So the "Dies Irae" first line repeats make the treatment of the other 2 lines possible, as a rhyme. See what I mean? Ah and here in the "Inter Oves" he does something like my last suggestion, but repeating both first and second lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment