Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Who created "robotics" at USC?

Poking around I see that professor Bekey is claiming paternity for the USC Robotics Research Lab. I did not know about him but here is my story:

When I was an assistant math prof in the early 80's, I was working on visual shape recognition. Another assistant prof. named Jamie Milner and I wrote some papers about the retina and lateral inhibition as a means for edge detection. One of the full time professors - Bob -something- latched on to our thoughts and came up with a model for the nerve and created a little "breakfast group" called "Visionery". It was supposed to be like "bakery" but a place to go to get information about human vision. Dean Warner got wind of it, got interested and created the research Lab as a consequence. He offered me a job but I had already accepted a position at U. of Rochester....and that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment